Frequently Asked Questions

Trademark & Copyright

What is a trademark?

A trademark is a source identifier. It helps a consumer associate a good or service with a brand. A trademark can be, but is not limited to, a word, logo, color, or slogan. Contact Potts Legal, PLLC to speak about applying for a trademark for your brand or business.

What is the difference between ™ and ®?

The ™ symbol indicates that the unregistered mark has been adopted by a brand in connection with its goods or services.  The ® symbol is reserved only for marks that have been registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office. Registered marks are awarded greater rights than unregistered marks  Contact Attorney Potts for additional information on registering your trademark.

What is copyright?

Copyright protects works of original authorship, such as paintings, art, books, sound recordings, and drawings that are put in a fixed tangible form. Ideas are not protected by copyright. A federal registered copyright allows for the owner to bring a lawsuit based on copyright infringement. The timing of a registered copyright also determines the amount of damages a copyright owner can recover from an infringer. Contact Attorney Potts to discuss protecting your creative work through copyright registration.

Personal Injury & Auto Accidents

What is PIP?

Personal Injury Protection (or PIP) consists of benefits provided by an insurance company to their insured, and other qualified individuals, who are injured in a motor vehicle accident. This protection includes up to $10,000.00 of combined medical and disability benefits. Florida law requires that an injured person treat with a medical provider within 14 days of a motor vehicle accident to qualify to receive PIP.

What is MedPay?

Medical Payments (or MedPay) coverage benefits are paid out for medical bills incurred as a result of injuries sustained in a motor vehicle accident. MedPay is not required in Florida. Generally, insurance companies are entitled to reimbursement for the amount of MedPay paid on a claim.

Should I give a statement to the other side’s adjuster?

If you’re injured in an auto accident it’s better to decline making a statement to the adverse adjuster until you speak with an attorney. Contact Potts Legal, PLLC to speak about assistance with your personal injury claim.

Helpful Links

Like on Facebook

Potts Legal, PLLC

At Potts Legal, PLLC we can provide assistance for your legal needs in areas, including small business law, intellectual property law, and personal injury law. We encourage you to give us a call today.
Potts Legal, PLLC
Potts Legal, PLLC2 weeks ago
🗞: California becomes first state to ban discrimination against natural hair
Potts Legal, PLLC
California becomes first state to ban discrimination against natural hair
"It had nothing to do with the job... It just had everything to do with my hair," one woman said
Potts Legal, PLLC
Potts Legal, PLLC3 weeks ago
Join us in helping those impacted by Dorian in the Bahamas.
Potts Legal, PLLC
Potts Legal, PLLC3 weeks ago
ATTENTION: The Florida Bar And All Branch Offices Closed For Labor Day; Update On Additional Closures Tuesday

The Florida Bar and all of its branch offices around the state are closed today for Labor Day as previously scheduled.

However, The Florida Bar offices located in Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando and Tampa will also be closed on Tuesday, Sept. 3.

The Tallahassee offices will be open on Tuesday.

Please check for additional updates or visit our 2019 Hurricane Information page for resources during #HurricaneDorian:
Potts Legal, PLLC
Potts Legal, PLLC3 weeks ago
Court Closure Announcement effective 12:00 noon on Friday, August 30th with continuing closure until further notice. The courthouses remain closed through and including Wednesday.
Potts Legal, PLLC
Potts Legal, PLLC3 weeks ago
Message from our chair - Retreat cancelled due to Dorian. Please check your email for further information.
Potts Legal, PLLC
Potts Legal, PLLC1 month ago
✨Stop by our table today at the Business Expo!